SLC Comic Con:
Westercon 67:
The major difference between the first glance is that the SLC Comic Con includes pictures and questions that interests those who "like" the page. By asking questions, it encourages the likers to comment on the post, and then when they comment, the post will show up on their friend's timelines. This is a way that the page can be spread when others are able to see it through their friends. The SLC Comic Con is also smart with their use of hashtags, which could bring in more people who search those hashtags. The Westercon 67 page is simply a bunch of statuses giving information that isn't presenting in an interesting manner and is, quite bluntly, boring. Another thing I noticed is the interaction with the likers.
Salt Lake City Comic Con:
Westercon 67:
SLC Comic Con uses the page to answer questions. I know for me personally, when I feel like a company is actually interested in me, I'm more likely to support that company. As a customer, I want to deal with companies who are friendly and who give time and effort to make sure I am satisfied.
When you go to the Twitter accounts, you can also spot a major difference.
SLC Comic Con:
The Comic Con has a fun header, background, and tweets often. They also give information in their bio and link you to the website.
The Westercon Twitter is more bland, with only a gray background, and also only 12 tweets. The last tweet was almost a month ago. Personally, I don't follow accounts that are inactive.
All in all, I think the Westercon 67 Event needs to increase it's transitivity through social media. Although they have social media accounts, they aren't very effective at grasping attention. Nothing about the Westercon social media account makes me think, "Wow! This is an awesome event! I want to go!" However, when I look at the SLC Comic Con event, I see all these pictures and interaction and it makes me want to be a part of it, even though I have no interest in Comic Con whatsoever.
Through social media outlets, they will be able to find more interested people when friends share and like posts. If they are able to engage with a younger audience, people will be more excited to go.
EDIT:
To improve their social media outlets, they simply need to improve their quality and quantity of posts. When looking at SLC Comic Con, you can see that they post frequently throughout the day. Westercon posts rarely, with their last post being from the beginning of January. They have the social media sites, they just need to improve how they use them.To build transitivity, their posts should also be related to those who like the page. The content should include more than a few sentences of text. When the page posts content that is enjoyable to the customer, they are more likely to share it, and then their friends are more likely to visit the page. It is important for these relationships to grow so that the popularity of the event can grow as well.
As far as channels go, I think this includes improving their social media as well. The company is looking for new "fresh faces", and most of these new people will be found through social media. Social media is the easiest way to reach out and advertise. By posting content that is the younger generation enjoys, it will get more likes and shares, just like with SLC Comic Con.





I like how you compared them to the SLC ComicCon. Is there a relationship between ComicCon and WesterCon? If so, maybe they could use their relationship to increase transitivity and social networking. I bet a lot of people who go to ComicCon would love to write sci-fi/fantasy and attend WesterCon.
ReplyDeleteClara, this is a solid first review of the assets existing assets. Now see if you can bring more of the ideas we've been discussing in class to bear on your analysis--
ReplyDeleteleveraging existing social networks, building transitivity, channel analysis (conventions particular to certain channels), etc. to generate specific suggestions.
I really like how you compared SLC ComicCOn with WesternCon. It is interesting to see the difference in post between the two. I agree that there can be an improvement in quality, quantity, and channles of their post.
ReplyDelete