Tuesday, January 7, 2014

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I expected from this class, but, I'll tell you that what I got out of it was not what I was imagined. I guess with a class about social media, I presumed that we would be studying all the different types of social media in depth, and let's be honest, in this internet-savvy world, who wouldn't want to take a class like that? While I'm sure we will go in depth to different social media, I was surprised to find that class was more about the effects of social media and how networking plays a huge part in our life. Even off the internet, networking is what connects and intertwines us. This was proven by how we're able to connect with a teacher who was born in a different time generation, raised in a different way, and had different interests. He was able to find ways to separate our differences and focus on how similar all of us really are. We were also able to connect by sitting in a circle. In classes, I tend to migrate to the back and remain relatively unnoticed. By the seating structure, I was able to look around at each person and even recognize faces that I don't know I would have if the seating was in typical rows. Through something as simple as moving seats around, we were able to connect as peers and become more involved with each other.

The reading was insightful as well and had a lot to do with what was discussed in class. Although it's from a different, more spiritual viewpoint, it's still all about connections. The church was started and then it grew because of relationships. It relates back to the discussion of first-degree, second-degree, and third-degree links. Whether people knew of the church because of a friend, a friend's friend, or a friend's friend's friend, it didn't matter. The important factor was that they could recognize the church, and because of that, they were more willing to listen and eventually get baptized.

Connections are a foundation in society and it is how people are able to function. Whether it be online, in class, or in a community, being intertwined and becoming one is what eventually will lead to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment