Sunday, March 2, 2014

Involvement in Communities

One of the biggest involvements in a community is the involvement in a personal education. While education is widely variable and dependent upon each person and circumstance, it's typically known in our society that a higher education will lead to a better paying job. Careers that pay higher salaries often require years and years of schooling to make sure only the top notch people get those jobs. When you have a higher education, people are more likely to listen to you and trust in what you have to say. Just having a college degree will increase your chances of getting a job exponentially. 


When someone has a higher education, their involvement in society will increase. They are more likely to be taken more seriously and have more opportunities to get involved in their communities. In my opinion, civil life and the level of education you have are directly correlated and influence each other greatly.

Going along with this, another question asked was talking about organizations. There are many different organizations and different types of ways to get involved, but for me personally, I think education and work organizations are the most important. I believe that you will find success through your connections, and so I always am working to put my name out there and to get connected with as many people as I can. These types of organizations are the most important to me because I feel like they impact my future the most.

One example of this took place last year. I am in the broadcast journalism major and I am working to become a sports reported. I currently work for BYUtv and I am planning on interning with ESPN this next year. I always try to get involved with my boss because I know he has many connections that could be potentially valuable to me. I've always been really involved and invested in college basketball and football, and last year I had the opportunity to do a lot of work with new recruits. Because of my work organization and connections through my boss, I was able to work directly with a highly recruited basketball player who was considering BYU - Jabari Parker. It is because I put myself out there and decided to get involved that I was able to have more coverage and greater experiences. Without being involved in my education, schooling, and work, I would've never had the opportunity to do something that was so defining for my career.


Another classic, maybe cliche, example that I was to include is involvement in church organizations. Going to BYU, the high involvement in all of our church activities seems normal and unimpressive. However, compared to everyone else in the world, our involvement is insanely high. As members of this church, we put so much time and effort into being truly involved. Personally, I decided to give up time and education to serve a mission. While that's normal at BYU, it's often unheard of at other places. Our involvement in the church and dedication to the Gospel is what makes it such a success and why it is spreading so wide and far so quickly. It just goes to show how true dedication can go a long way. (aaaaaaand cue cheesy mission picture now)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome picture with Jabari Parker!

    I think traditionally, we think that the better/more education we get the more marketable we are, which I think is true however, I do think that through new media we have opportunities to reach the same success without multiple degrees because we can leverage our connections. Not saying this replaces education, it just is an additional opportunity.

    ReplyDelete